How to receive from short code

Smpp v3.4 client

Moderator: alt

Thayhor

How to receive from short code

Post by Thayhor » Mon May 11, 2009 4:51 pm

I bound as tranceiver and I can receive message from the SMSC like QuerySm but the problem is that I cannot receive on the short code like "1234" provision for me on the smsc.

How can I achieve that. Just to receive from short code, since I can received delivery message from my smsc already.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
adrianaitken

Post by adrianaitken » Tue May 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi, see my reply to your other posting.
One thing to remember is shortcodes are unique to your SMSC provider.
As an example, where I live there are 3 mobile phone operators. I connect to one of them and have a shortcode allocated. This means that only people who have a mobile phone with that operator can shortcode me. The other 2 operators would have to setup their SMSC to forward the shortcode to my operators SMSC to get delivery to my computer. This means formal agreements (lawyers involved etc etc) so someone has to pay for all this. Not going to be me so only select mobile phone users can shortcode me.
The other alternative is for the other SMSC to give me a user account on their system and setup shortcodes on their own system. This would mean I have to bind to 3 SMSC and change my program so if I get a shortcode from Provider#1 then I send a response though them, if I get a shortcode from Provider#2 then I send it through them and not Provider#1 else money has to change hands etc etc.

As you can see it can be a nightmare to setup :D - fortuneately I went with the biggest provider (most users) so I only lose a small number of potential customers.
Regards
Adrian

I no longer work so do not use this any more and therefore can not help you with any answers. Bye bye and good luck.